Bean burger recipe
Makes 6-8 burgers
For the buns:
250ml warm water
2 tbsp fast action yeast
2 tbsp sugar/honey or malt extract
80g melted butter
4 tbsp milk powder
450g flour (half plain, half strong)
1 tbsp sea salt
Egg for washing
3 tbsp sesame seeds or poppy seeds for topping
- Preheat the oven to 200ºC.
- In a large bowl or stand mixer, mix the water, yeast and sweetener together. Leave for 5 minutes.
- Add the melted butter, milk powder and egg. Next add the flour and salt.
- Stir then knead until you have a sticky dough that you can handle. Or, using a dough hook, mix on speed 2 of your stand mixer for 10 minutes.
- Prepare a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicon mat.
- Cut the dough into 8 pieces. Form round patties and spread them out on the baking sheet.
- Brush with the egg and sprinkle sesame seeds on top.
- Bake in the oven for 12 minutes or until golden.
- Remove from the oven and let them cool on a rack. You can split them and eat them as they are, or, for a burger, they are best split and toasted.
For the burgers:
1 onion, finely chopped
3 cloves of garlic, minced
3 tbsp olive oil
400g cooked beans or 1 tin of beans
1 egg (or 2 vegan ‘eggs’)
1 tbsp nutritional yeast (optional)
1 tbsp English mustard
Juice 1/2 lemon
A bunch of parsley, stems discarded, chopped finely
Sea salt and black pepper for seasoning
Olive oil for frying
- Fry the onion and garlic in the olive oil.
- Remove from the heat and mix with the rest of the ingredients.
- Divide into approximately six patties, pressing the mixture together firmly.
- In an ovenproof frying pan, fry the veggie burgers on each side in a little oil until slightly golden.
- Transfer to the oven and cook for 12 to 15 minutes. Warm or toast the burger buns in the meantime.
Add a squirt of vegan mayonnaise (one food that is actually better vegan) and put a slice of dairy cheese or vegan cheese that melts, a crispy lettuce leaf and a slice of tomato inside the bun. You are now in fast food heaven. Except it’s healthy. Finish with a squirt of ketchup and a side of fries.
For more vegan recipes, check out my book V is for Vegan.