At a thrifty cook who keeps an efficient pantry, I love recipes that use up stale ingredients. This is a great summer salad, rather like a pre blended gazpacho. Buy the best tomatoes you can. This salad can be made the night before.
- 1 red onion, finely sliced in half moons, soaked in oil or water then drained if you want them to have less sting
- 500 g ripe tomatoes, chopped ( I keep the seeds. I like the seeds)
- 1/2 clove garlic, grated or minced
- 1 tbsp heaped, of capers, chopped
- pinch caster sugar
- 3 tbsp red wine vinegar or sherry vinegar
- 75 ml olive oil
- 1 tbsp sea salt
- 300 g large section of focaccia or other italian bread, torn into chunks
- bunch fresh basil leaves
Prep the onions, tomatoes, garlic, capers, and place into a bowl.
Add the vinegar, oil, sugar, salt and pepper.
Add the bread, mixing thoroughly, so that the bread soaks up the juices.
Just before serving, add the basil leaves.