Mushrooms à la Grecque recipe
This recipe is a blast from the past, rather 70s, but you'll still find mushrooms Greek-style, slightly pickled, in 'traiteurs' or delicatessens in France. It's simple but every time I make it, I end up eating the whole pan by myself.
- 50 ml olive oil
- 400 g whole button mushrooms any dirt brushed off (if larger, then slice)
- Juice of half a lemon make sure no pips
- 2 tbsp white wine vinegar
- Splash white wine optional
- 2 cloves garlic thinly sliced
- 2 fresh bay leaves
- 1 tbsp whole coriander seeds heaped
- 2 fresh sprigs of thyme
- 1 tsp sea salt
- Ground white pepper to taste
Heat the oil gently in a medium saucepan on a medium heat then, add the mushrooms.
Add the rest of the ingredients. Simmer for around ten minutes then serve or leave to cool and serve later.
Can be kept in the fridge for up to two days.