Ukrainian Easter bread (Paska)
This is similar to an Italian panettone. If you have the correct mould, great but otherwise use a well-oiled empty 800g tin can. You can leave it plain or simply iced. If you have leftovers, slice them up and use for a bread and butter pudding.
- 175 ml whole milk, warm
- 2 eggs plus an extra yolk if you wish
- 1 tsp active dry yeast or 15g fresh yeast
- 200 g caster sugar
- pinch saffron or turmeric
- 100 g salted butter
- 50 ml sour cream
- 1/2 tsp vanilla paste
- 375 g plain flour
- 50 g dried sour cherries or 500g fresh or frozen sour cherries
For the icing:
- 100 g icing sugar
- squeeze fresh lemon juice
- blue and yellow sprinkles (optional)
Mix together the warm milk, eggs, yeast, sugar, saffron, butter, sour cream, vanilla. Whisk until pale.
Add in the flour, knead for 15 minutes, then fold in the dried cherries. Leave to rise for 2 hours.
Oil the can well with sunflower oil and fill with the dough. Leave to rise for another hour, Preheat the oven to 180C.
Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until the top is golden brown.
Remove and cool. Make the icing by mixing the icing sugar with lemon juice, Drizzle over the pasta .