This flattened rice is a local speciality in both Madhya Pradesh and Maharashtra states. It's generally eaten for breakfast. I asked the chef at the Riverwood Lodge in Pench to show me how to prepare this dish.
- 250 g poha
- 2 tbsp ghee
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- Handful of fresh curry leaves
- 1 small brown onion finely sliced
- 1 tsp turmeric ground
- 1 potato peeled, finely sliced
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp sugar or palm sugar
- Handful of garden peas
- Handful of peanuts
- 1 green chilli finely sliced
- Handful of coriander leaves
- 1 lime
Soak the poha in cold water for a few minutes until they easily squash between your fingers. Drain.
In a deep frying pan, heat the ghee until hot then add the mustard seeds, curry leaves then
cook the onion till soft. Add the turmeric and potato slices.
Add the salt and sugar, the peas, peanuts, chilli.
Add the coriander leaves and juice of the lime.