1. Started my own blog- yes
2. Slept under the stars- many times.
3. Played in a band- samba bands
4. Visited Hawaii-no
5. Watched a meteor shower- in the Jordanian desert.
6. Given more than I can afford to charity- don’t think so.
7. Been to Disneyland/World- yes
8. Climbed a mountain- yes
9. Held a praying mantis- no
10. Sung a solo- never
11. Bungee jumped – and I never, ever, ever will
12. Visited Paris- lived there 6 years.
13. Watched lightning at sea- yes, exhilarating ride on a catamaran through a storm.
14. Taught myself an art from scratch- yes, pottery, mosaics, drawing, painting.
15. Adopted a child- no.
16. Had food poisoning- yes. Terrible when you don’t know what end it’s gonna come out of.
17. Walked to the top of the Statue of Liberty- yes, years ago.
18. Grown my own vegetables- yes
19. Seen the Mona Lisa- yes
20. Slept on an overnight train- oh yes, one of my favourites.
21. Had a pillow fight- yes
22. Hitchhiked- yes. Worst hitch was a week in the same town in Tibet. Best hitch was a house on the back of a lorry in Patagonia, spent 3 days in it.
23. Taken a sick day when you’re not ill – who hasn’t?
24. Built a snow fort- no, never enough snow here.
25. Held a lamb- yes.
26. Gone skinny dipping- yes.
27. Run a Marathon- no, and it’s still an ambition.
28. Ridden in a gondola in Venice- yes.
29. Seen a total eclipse- yes, Portsmouth 1998 and several partial ones.
30. Watched a sunrise or sunset- yes
31. Hit a home run – no
32. Been on a cruise- yes, tacky one around the Caribbean.
33. Seen Niagara Falls in person- yes, when I was 15.
34. Visited the birthplace of my ancestors- yes, Minori south of Naples when I was 8.
35. Seen an Amish community- yes, they live near my cousin in Pennsylvania.
36. Taught myself a new language- yes, French, Spanish and some others.
37. Had enough money to be truly satisfied- money is never truly satisfying.
38. Seen the Leaning Tower of Pisa in person- at least twice.
39. Gone rock climbing- yes
40. Seen Michelangelo’s David- yes
41. Sung karaoke- no, bit nervous
42. Seen Old Faithful geyser erupt- no
43. Bought a stranger a meal at a restaurant- can’t remember
44. Visited Africa- yes
45. Walked on a beach by moonlight- yes
46. Been transported in an ambulance- yes, when I punctured my leg trying to break into a swimming pool at night.
47. Had my portrait painted- yes by my mother who is a talented artist.
48. Gone deep sea fishing- no
49. Seen the Sistine Chapel in person- yes
50. Been to the top of the Eiffel Tower in Paris- yes
51. Gone scuba diving or snorkeling- yes, have advanced and nitrox certifications.
52. Kissed in the rain- yes, well I am English.
53. Played in the mud- yes
54. Gone to a drive-in theater- yes
55. Been in a movie- yes, was in the Clash movie ‘Rude boy’ and another film called ‘Bloody Kids’ by Stephen Poliakoff.
56. Visited the Great Wall of China- no
57. Started a business- yes
58. Taken a martial arts class- no
59. Visited Russia- yes, but merely a stop-over
60. Served at a soup kitchen- yes
61. Sold Girl Scout cookies- no, but was a brownie
62. Went Whale Watching- yes in Argentina and North America
63. Got flowers for no reason- no
64. Donated blood, platelets or plasma- yes
65. Gone sky diving- no
66. Visited a Nazi Concentration Camp- no, that’s on my list
67. Bounced a check- no
68. Flown in a helicopter- yes
69. Saved a favorite childhood toy- yes
70. Visited the Lincoln Memorial- don’t think so
71. Eaten caviar- yes
72. Pieced a quilt- yes, at school
73. Stood in Times Square- yes
74. Toured the Everglades- not yet
75. Been fired from a job- several times
76. Seen the Changing of the Guard in London- yes
77. Broken a bone- yes, toes?
78. Been on a speeding motorcycle- no
79. Seen the Grand Canyon in person- yes
80. Published a book- no
81. Visited the Vatican- yes
82. Bought a brand-new car- no
83. Walked in Jerusalem- no
84. Had my picture in the newspaper- many times. Best was in The News of the World, when I was pictured with my teddyboy boyfriend saying ‘Punk and ted find love’ and that we were bringing the warring tribes together. Famous for, oooh, a week?
85. Read the entire Bible- no
86. Visited the White House- outside only
87. Killed and prepared an animal for eating- does a mussel count?
88. Had chickenpox- yes
89. Saved someone’s life- not sure
90. Sat on a jury- no, but really want to.
91. Met someone famous- yes, slept with some too.
92. Joined a book club- yes
93. Lost a loved one- yes
94. Had a baby- yes
95. Seen the Alamo in person- no
96. Swam in the Great Salt Lake- no, but bathed in the dead sea.
97. Been involved in a law suit- unfortunately yes.
98. Owned a cell phone- doh.
99. Been stung by a bee- was stung by hundreds as a kid.
100. Ridden an elephant- no
100 things to do before you die
1. Started my own blog- yes
56 but I've done#67
Does that mean you've done number 56 or you have done 56 out of the 100. I haven't even counted actually…ok, I've done 67 out of 100.
Happy 2009! Do you mind if I respond to 'the list' tomorrow? This is gonna be fun! Have an ace New Year, ML xxx
Happy New Year to you Ms Disco! Yes, be interesting to hear what you have done.
Surprised myself with how many I've actually done. Lost count. Perhaps I should add one about learning mental maths. Happy 2009! Hil x
Happy 2009! Surprised myself by how many I've done, but lost count. I'm with you on the jury thing: I was once called, but had a very new baby, so couldn't. Hil x
Happy New Year, ML and all. That's an awful lot of thinghsd to do; If I'd done half I'd be happy.
I've done… let me see:
2: Yes, once; but it was on a golf course when I was very drunk
3: No, but I've won prizes for my Karaoke.
4: No, but I'm going to when this passport nonsense is no longer necessary and we’re free to traverse our home planet at will.
7: No, and I don’t intend to!
8: Yes, Snowdon. But also Beinn an Eoin in Scotland where there were no paths or anything and it was very steep in places.
10: Yes, see Number 3. I also sung solo with a piano in a Dublin pub.
11: No, I’d have to be more drunk to try it than they’d let me on!
12: Oui, Gaie Paris. I could tell you a few stories about that!
13: Yes, and the northern light. Beautiful!
14: No, unless you count writing fiction
16: Yes, got it now in fact. And last night it was both ends at once!
19: Yes, she wasn’t what I expected; a lot smaller.
20: Yes, like a log, but I felt very dirty in the morning.
23: No comment!
26: No, I’d like to do that one.
27: No, but walk one every day.
28: No, but will do. See Number 4.
29: Partial only.
30: Yes, many times. Love it!
31: Yes, the home run had a black eye for days!
33: No, but will do. See Number 4.
34: Yes, Newcastle Emlyn in Wales
35: No, but I’ve watched “Kingpin”
36: No, but I speak several languages from family and school, but I’m rusty as hell.
39: Yes, but didn’t get very high.
40: Yes, but it was on a postcard.
41: Yes, many times. See Number 3.
43: Yes, but I don’t want to discuss details!
46: No, touchwood
51: No, but I’d love to do this!
52: Yes, and the rain did enhance the experience.
54: No, unless you count wheeling my daughter’s buggy into a cinema.
55: Yes, Darren Pollard’s “The Glastenbury (sic) Affair” and a couple of others. People also keep recognizing me from my cameo in David Icke’s “Freedom or Fascism-Time to Choose”. Dunno why.
56: No, but one day I’m going to walk right along it. Same goes for the Thames Path.
57: Yes, a small publishing company.
58: No, only boxing while I was at school.
59: No (Stopped over in Singapore too, does that count?)
61: No, I’d be bloody arrested these days!
62: No, I couldn’t; I wouldn’t be able to leave them.
67: Yes, every bloody day!
68: No, except on Microsoft Flight Simulator. I was pretty good!
71: Yes, didn’t like it much.
75: No, but I’ve some pretty close a couple of times! It’s bound to happen sooner or later
77: Yes, a rib while I was playing rugby with my friend’s dog.
78: No, never will after seeing what can happen.
80: Yes, two
81: No, they’d never let me in!
84: Yes; a few times in the last couple of years, but not for any disreputable reasons.
85: No, I’ve got better things to read!
88: Yes, it’s safe to approach me!
89: Yes, many lives.
91: Yes, but yet to sleep with them! I wouldn’t mind if it was ….!
92: Yes, and wish I hadn’t! They kept sending me loads of crap I didn’t want and charging me for it!
94: Yes, well not me personally of course!
97: Yes, it’s not pleasant.
98: Yes, but I’ve never bought one. My first was a present and all the others have been hand-me-downs.
Not a bad score really. And it gives me a framework to strive for.
I've done all 100 … you might catch up one day…x
I've done 56 things.. well I am 14.
SO relieved that I can post on here directly rather than the circumlocutious route of the past month or so…
may your wonderful blog continue to intrigue, amaze, dazzle and confound Ms ML
love AHIH xxx
I have a copy of Rude Boy sitting in my "To Watch" pile. It's meant to be good, I'll look out for you.
Nick, do you want me to tell you beforehand or do you want to guess?
Cellardoor, 56 things at 14!
Wow, your parents must be so cool to have done all those things with you…
Very thought provoking list. I'm 32 and have managed 41. Really love the blog and marmite.
oh we've both had our pictures in the papers many times, but you've done it from both sides of the camera I believe (and I can't really claim that), but have you ever done a nude celebrity feature anywhere… I'm very proud of the one I did in 2004 for the biggest selling newspaper in Finland, as you know!
Mr Trippy, no I have never been nude in a newspaper. When I was younger I was constantly approached by photographers as I had a figure very similar to Samantha Fox. But I am too shy.
I have been to the Brighton nudist beach and once visited a nudist island by mistake. Couldn't leave for 3 days and so was obliged.
Excuse me whilst I die laughing!
This list is one of the funniest things I have seen for some time – like 15, 35 and 93 as being particularly out there, do you need to loose a loved one before or after you see the Mona Lisa ? – I can't make my mind up.