This is a fairly basic carrot soup recipe to which I would usually add cashew nuts, to thicken and flavour. But lockdown didn’t permit this, so I used what I had, some tahini. Fantastic! I’m going to experiment with adding tahini to other soups. Do try it:
Carrot, turmeric and tahini soup
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion, roughly chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, sliced
- 3 large organic carrots, scrubbed and roughly chopped
- 5 cm piece of fresh turmeric root or 1 tbp of dried turmeric powder
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 500 ml hot vegetable stock
- 3 tbsps tahini
- Heat the olive oil in a saucepan over a medium heat, until hot.
- Add the onion and fry until soft.
- Add the garlic, carrots, turmeric and ground coriander and cook for ten minutes.
- Transfer the soup to a blender or use a stick blender in the pan and whizz it up until smooth.
- Add the tahini paste, stir well and serve hot.