Smoked mackerel paté
So simple so cheap, pair with bread or crackers.
- 1 pack lemon and herb smoked mackerel filets from Lidl, skin removed. (£1.79)
- 3 tbsp creme fraiche (lidl 45p)
- 1/2 lemon, juice and zest (15p)
- black pepper
- Blend the fish, cream and lemon juice.
- Add the black pepper and serve chilled with bread or crackers.
Caponata is like a more interesting version of ratatouille with an agro-dolce or sweet sour vibe. It comes from Sicily. It can be eaten warm or hot, in winter or summer.
- 6 tbsp olive oil (18p)
- 1 aubergine, sliced or cubed (49p)
- 1 red peppers (deseeded, sliced) (45p)
- 3 cloves garlic(3p)
- 3 Bay leaves (garden, free)
- 1 courgette, sliced(34p)
- handful olives, black or green, (20p Aldi)
- handful capers (15p Morrisons)
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar from Asda (5p)
- salt to taste
- Heat up the olive oil in a deep pan on medium heat.
- Fry the aubergines and peppers until soft.
- Add the garlic, courgettes and bay leaves.
- Add the olives and capers.
- Add the vinegar.