I’ve been sent an Air Fryer, something very on trend judging by Instagram and TikTok. I chose the ‘Ninja’ brand as I already have a coffee maker by them which I’m very happy with. This particular model is large, with two frying ‘drawers’ so I can use it for the supper club.
My testing of the air fryer has piqued the curiosity of everybody from my mum to followers on social media. I made chips, using only a fraction of the oil I would normally use. I then decided to really put it through its paces by making one of my favourite dishes: fried aubergines (eggplants). This vegetable is a literal sponge for oil, hence I don’t cook it very often. I love the contrast of the soft pale insides and the crispy purple skin. The result is it came up trumps. I had a large bowl of aubergine fried sticks using only a couple of teaspoons of olive oil rather than the vat I’d normally use!
Aubergine sticks with tahini, yoghurt dip
- 2 medium aubergines, cut into sticks., Choose firm unblemished aubergines
- 1 tbsp sea salt
- 2 tsps Olive oil
- 3 tbsp tahini
- 6 tbsp Greek yoghurt
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 lemon, juice of
- 1/2 seeds of pomegranate
- Handful parsley, chopped
- Cut up the aubergines, leaving the skin on and toss in salt, pepper, any herbs or spices you fancy. Leave for 10 minutes and drain any water from the bottom of the bowl.
- Toss the drained aubergine sticks in the olive oil.
- Using the crisper in the drawer, add the aubergine to it and set the timer for 15 minutes at 240ºc.
Make the sauce:
- Mix the tahini, yoghurt, lemon juice and salt together.
- Tip the fried aubergines into a bowl and drizzle the sauce over them.
- Add parsley and pomegranate seeds. Serve hot.